Truth Bullets and Thought Grenades

Whilst delivering training (Managing Mental Health in the time of Covid) we were discussing what has been tough this year. One delegate explained lockdown's impact on her work wasn't that novel as being freelance in the creative industries meant her work always fluctuated. However, she said she was exhausted, not because of Covid stresses but because she had spent the second half of the year explaining and educating people, who increasingly asked her about being a black person. She said this took more effort than anything else she’d experienced this year.

Simon getting ready for another Zoom

It reminded me of being on a panel on International Day of Disabled People convened as part of Purple Space’s 24 hour worldwide broadcast. It was a rather illustrious panel with representatives from the World Health Organisation, International Labour Organization and the European Union and hosted by the razor-sharp Susan Scott-Parker. I was asked to explore if we could measure the progress of disability rights by the prevalence of disabled comedians now performing. 

At the end of the event Susan asked each panelist for a suggestion, an action to do next. The speaker before me said ‘…listen to more people like X in country Y and A in country B, listen to more disabled people’. I was next. I started with what I intended to be a confirmation and then progression of the previous speaker. I said something like...


"It’s always important to listen to disabled people themselves but haven’t you been listening for decades now? I’m tired of just being listened to. I want to see resulting actions. Being listened to because of lived experience is the minimum expectation, not the end point. Disabled people should be on boards and committees, making decisions, determining actions, developing strategy. Please, no more of 'disability awareness' and then the disabled person leaves the room."

The panel talking as part of Purple Light UpI related this experience to my close colleague, Phil FriendI noted that it had felt like I was speaking with a different group of people, compared with my usual audience. 

Phil rather creatively suggested "You're a new sheriff in town and this is what happens when you move. You’ve been a sheriff to business and in media and the arts. You’ve been rounding up the ignorant and unaware, shooting your bullets of truth and reality. You’ve now got a new audience and you need to start aiming those truth bullets to get them to understand." 

Truth bullets? OK. Not that daft when you hear I once started using a phrase (years ago) called ‘thought grenade’. Whilst training people I’d say something provocative. The plan was my 'thought grenade' would explode in the middle of the room, startling everyone in to re-thinking their assumptions. I wanted this phrase to catch on, which it didn’t. I can add truth bullets to add to my ammunition. That said, I'd rather some additional armour as, as the training delegate said, "It can be exhausting educating people." 

Before you go...

Abnormally Funny People have a huge show at Southbank Centre, London on 17th January 2021, 7.30pm. It's virtual so everyone can come, (if you're over 16). Tickets via clicking on these words £10 and £5. Or www.southbankcentre.co.uk and search 17th January. 

The Way We Roll podcast I make with Phil Friend had some amazing shows and top guests this year. We went to weekly shows during Covid Lockdown I and Geoff Adams-Spink ably assisted. It's free, take a listen and let me know what you think? 

Finally, I loved hosting the Christmas Quiz with BBC Ouch You can listen to some of the fun and joy we had via the link above or go to www.bbc.co.uk and search Ouch


Popular posts from this blog

Dwarfism and the ethics of humour

Mental Health in the time of Covid 19 - a training course