Mental Health in the time of Covid 19 - a training course

Spend a couple of minutes thinking about the answers to these questions. 
  1. What’s working ok for work and for home?
  2. What’s difficult?
  3. What do you do to make yourself happy?                        
OK, I’ve thought about it. Here’s mine...

A light orange floral pattern on a white china mug. On a desk with a computer screen in the background

Understated mug

Work - Like many, I’m working from home. For me that means delivering virtual training. I’ve bought a fan to cool me as my office area gets hot. I have acquired two understated mugs so, during video calls I look professional and not a teenager with a Simpsons or Snoopy mug. I like my ‘commute’ from the kitchen to the office. 

Home - Communication with my family is way more than usual. Video calls, audio calls, even the odd card or letter. I like that. I sleep a bit more. 

Difficult - The loss of human contact, someone in the same room, a handshake, a hug, a wink. I miss going to dinner with an interesting person, not seeing theatre or ballet. I miss not having these in my diary to look forward to. I long for an overseas trip to plan. I get blue twice a week, particularly if I think too hard or when I assume everyone is in the sunshine with their family. I'm almost always tired. Video calls used to be fun. 

Two slides of toasted bread with melted cheese on top and sliced tomato just visible under the cheese   
Cheese on toast   
Happy - I’ve learnt that blue days usually last a day and the next day is different. I’m lucky to be working. Having demands on my time helps me. I think this is a once in a lifetime period and I want to savour it. It brings heartache, restriction and loss. Yet it allows some simplicity and slowing down, more time to cook cheese on toast even.

I go out for long walks (two hours on my scooter) and I get lost, geographically and in music. My friend Jane told me about live comedy (on Zoom) and now Jane, my parents and friends all watch it live and text. It's something to look forward to.

I attended a buddhism event and did my first piece of acting, a monologue written for me.

Mental Health in the time of Covid 19 training

The above questions are some of those we ask delegates on a new virtual training course called Mental Health in the time of Covid 19. It is a course with interaction, not a webinar that can be a passive listen. It focuses on looking after yourself as well as looking out for colleagues. It's relevant for managers and staff and feedback says it’s adding a lot of value. 

In development, I asked for ideas and critical review from fellow disability and mental health trainers and HR professionals. I examined what other organisations have implemented, (extended bereavement, virtual yoga, financial support, social chats). I sifted the essential elements from blogs and from advice from organisations like ReThink and Business Disability Forum. Skillboosters have kindly let me use some of their training videos which add and vary the learning. For a non-traditional time, it has non-traditional elements such as the beautiful A Letter From Italy in The Guardian and 25 tips to being Happier

A light wood desk with a large computer screen, an iPad on a gooseneck stand, an anglepoise lamp and a leather chair with a white router box on the floor
        My desk               
Is it of its time? Some elements, yes. But as society has been forced in to making changes, people have started to re-evaluate what is important. I suspect it has  longevity, it feels special. Thankfully I've moved from having nerves about technology, and speaking to a screen, to looking forward to it, and speaking with delegates. The client asked for ten sessions, then five more when it was well received. Some teams want their own which is cool. It feels helpful and progressive. Every session reveals good ideas of what people now do - gardening and walking being popular. Then there’s gems like spending 30 mins each morning, sifting through the magazine mountain, removing the articles to keep, or writing memories of a special time with your mother, and sharing them with her, or, last one, before when you had a bad day, you’d blame yourself and stress about it. Now, you realise it’s a complicated mix of many uncontrollable elements.

It moves mental health to a different space - washing your hands obsessively and avoiding people describes a responsible citizen today. Spikes and lows of anxiety (coronacoaster anybody!) about the future is normal right now.  

People have said it's allowed them to pause and assess how they are managing, celebrate the good, share fixes to areas that might be improved. The organisation is learning about what is working in the 'new normal' and what requires attention e.g. is there equity of workload? Are Comms clear and manageable? Are people taking recommended time off? In turbulent times can we make work a place of certainty?

It’s about people; those working at home and those doubling up home schooling children too. Those with full houses and those living alone. Delegates are worldwide but there are no travel expenses. I think I mentioned that my commute is short.  

Popular posts from this blog

Dwarfism and the ethics of humour

Truth Bullets and Thought Grenades